Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Stupid No Touch Policy...


Yesterday while I was at work at the very end when we were doing closing this girl was sitting next to me and she said, “Ms Yoshi, I don’t want you to leave at the end of the summer.” And I said something along the lines of, “Well the end of the summer is a long ways away, and maybe I can write your mom letters to give to you.” After that she said one of the cutest things I have ever heard. She said, “Oh wait, I’ll see you in heaven because I’m a Christian.” I love how children can say things like that and not be ashamed of it and not get ridiculed for it. For all that I have been sick and felt miserable for the first two days of Camp it’s so uplifting to hear things like that, and that make me feel special as well :) Yesterday was the first day that we are allowed off base because we now have our phones but I didn't go out because it was pouring rain and I’m still sick and have programming left that I now need to fix.
Today was kind of fun. We were able to take the older groups to the pool which was nice because we really didn't have to do anything except sit there and watch them. The water was cold though! And it still isn't that hot out because of the storm. At the end of the day i was getting really irritated though. At the center they have a "no touch policy." And it means exactly that. No Touching! It's ridiculous. We got in trouble for holding campers hands. At the end of the day we all have this "dance party" together and just hang out with the camper. One of the ladies in charge came in and said we had to do something else because she thought that they were running around too much and she was seeing too much of them bumping into each other. We aren't supposed to touch the kids AT ALL. And they aren't allowed to touch us at all and they aren't allowed to touch each other at all. It's crazy. Apparently the campers have gotten more touchy feely since we have gotten here as well so the lady specifically asked our director to talk to us about it. 
I've been eating Campbells chicken noodle soup since I got sick and I don't know if it's because of that, but it's seriously like the best thing I have ever tasted.

2 comments:

  1. I know, the no touch policy is completely ridiculous. What, are you supposed to push the kids away when they want to hug you or hold your hand? It doesn't benefit the kids at all. the only reason for the policy is liability- so that your POCs can cover their butts if something happens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes, I guess some centers are more strict than others. Allie's spot on about liability issues, and it really is quite silly - I guess if the kids want to hold your hand, you could just be like, "Oh, high five!" (That's a compromise...right?)

    Hope those cans of chicken noodle soup are holding you over.

    ReplyDelete